Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Real Wedding: Ron & Ashley


I am not sure when I met Ashley to tell you the truth. For some reason when I think back to the time we became friends I have vivid memories of a sunken fire pit and colorful cocktails, which makes me think it was probably at the old Peppermill. What I do remember is how easy it was to be around her. Ashley is one of those gals that has your best interest at heart whether she knows you or not. She is genuinely interested in you and your life and it is reflected in her very beautiful, very sparkly blue eyes. I don't have a chance to see her that often as her job takes her across the United States and back. However, when I do see her it is like no time has passed and that is the kind of friendship I cherish.

When Ashley told me that she was engaged, I was so happy. When they finally set a date, I was thrilled...and not because it took years for them to find a date that they would both be free. I was thrilled because I could finally get started on designing their wedding invitations and I couldn't wait to get started. She did so much for me at my wedding the least I could do was to offer her this small gift.

I knew I wanted to do a letterpress invitation. Ashley has a vintage flair about her and that printing style matches her completely. Beyond that, we had to decide which direction to go. I offered her a couple of different design ideas. The first was a little more girlie using a light aqua and bright orange color inks on bright white Crane Lettra paper. The other was a nod towards Ashley's sweetie pie's Texas roots. Bright card stock from Waste Not Paper in poppy with eggplant ink designed like an old Western wanted poster. It didn't take long for them to decide on the Western invite and we were off to the presses...literally.  As serendipity would have it, the US Post Service came out with the "Cowboys of the Silver Screen" postage stamps at the same time. They were the perfect touch for the invitations. To complete the final package, I had the addresses done by our in-house calligraphy guru Shannon of Ink Spot Calligraphy.

The wedding day arrived and it couldn't have been more perfect. The ceremony was held outside on a lovely Santa Barbara evening. As the guests gathered for the ceremony, SP and I felt increasingly honored to be invited to share in their special day. Of course, I cried when they said their "i do's" (as usual)...but I don't think there was a dry eye in the crowd. I wasn't surprised because there was something different about this wedding. Not to be too sappy, but there was a lot of love in the air.

Congratulations Ashley and Ron! Thank you for allowing me to share in your special day. I wish you all of the happiness and love this world has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment